17 January 2011

January Movie Wishlist!

Ah! I guess with all the excitement of the new year and such, I forgot to post my wish list for this month, which is already about halfway over! I guess that it's especially important to do this now, in these dark wintery times when there seems to be so little to look forward to.

1) Green Hornet (Seth Rogen, Jay Chou)
Do I know anything about Green Hornet? No, but I didn't know anything about X-Men, or Transformers either, and those movies were kickass. Plus Seth Rogen is a funny guy, and I'm all about that. Even if it seems my movie choices are mostly high drama and ill-fated romance (just wait until I post the next one).

2) The Rite (Anthony Hopkins, CiarĂ¡n Hinds)
I think I've mentioned before my obsession with the more arcane elements of Catholicism. It reminds me of the mother from The Poisonwood Bible, a book by Barbara Kingsolver (I wonder why no one ever thought to make a film adaptation of that one?) who had, "a pagan's appreciation for the Bible, being devoted to such phrases as "purge me with hyssop," and "strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round," and "thou hast put off my sackcloth and girded me with gladness." Likely she would run through the fields dressed in sackcloth, hunting hyssop amongst the wild bulls, if not obligated to the higher plane of Motherhood" (p.30)

3) Kaboom (Haley Bennett, Thomas Dekker)
This one's coming from IFC films, which I usually like. It's a scifi-comedy about a bisexual girl who discovers something sinister in her Southern California town.

4) Burning Palms (Zoe Saldana, Paz Vega)
I think Inception or maybe Scott Pilgrim maybe unlocked this current trend of movies that play around with altern-reality, although I'll admit that the trope has been around quite a long time. Thia appears to be one of those movies with randoms people who have intersecting lives. It's also set in Los Angeles (Crash?).

5) The Absent (Damon Abdallah, Samuel Ball)
I'm just going to copy the synopsis from Movieweb.com: "The town of Liberty has many secrets but the darkest is hidden between twin brothers. Vincent and Oscar Burton are only 10 years old when Oscar finds out his parents are trying to kill him for insurance money. Oscar takes it in to his own hands to protect himself and his twin. He makes a breakfast that will be his parents last. Twenty five years later Vincent Burton is the best science teacher at Liberty High School until he falls for his prize student Katie Anderson. Katie has just ended a relationship with her cheating jock boyfriend Karl Pierce when she seduces Vincent. He takes her to his parents summer cabin and they cross the line when they enter into a sexual relationship. Vincent's twin brother Oscar is released from prison and decides to help Vincent avoid doing hard time. First Katie disappears then Vincent's list of absent students grows as Oscar does anything he can to take care of anyone who has knowledge of the relationship. Parents and teachers start to worry as the body count rises. The local Sheriff starts hunting Oscar but Vincent keeps him well hidden. The game of cat and mouse has the whole town involved. Innocent bystanders even start paying the price until the three face off in a bloody ending where only one remains standing."

No comments:

Post a Comment