13 January 2011

11 Jan- "In your face, camel cake!"

Hook (1991)
dir. Steven Spielberg (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, 2008)

CAST
Dustin Hoffman (Tootsie, 1982)
Robin Williams (Flubber, 1997)
Julia Roberts (Eat Pray Love, 2010)
Bob Hoskins (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, 1988)
Maggie Smith (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 2009)
Dante Basco (But I'm a Cheerleader, 1999)
Gwyneth Paltrow (The Royal Tenenbaums, 2001)

This movie is one of my childhood favorites for unclear reasons. It certainly isn't because of Robin William's stellar performance as either a workaholic father or a whimsical and cocksure Peter Pan. Another paradox is why I've fostered a lifelong obsession with Dante Basco, because I don't really think he deserves it (These days he does a lot of voice work for the Disney channel, including Avatar: The Last Airbender, and American Dragon: Jake Long). He was also really unconvincingly gay in the cult comedy But I'm a Cheerleader (1999). He was also in one of those inner-city kids dancing movies with Antonio Banderas.

On the other hand, I will go to my grave insisting that Dustin Hoffman gives the best performance of his career as Captain Hook. While Peter's character is derivative and formulaic, Capt. Hook is so awesomely insane and narcissistic. Maybe this is a little sick, but my favorite scene is where he threatens to kill himself and he's holding the gun to his head and he says "Don't stop me Smee! Smee, stop me. Stop me Smee!" Such high drama!

Here's a little something extra I learned - there's a scene where a man and a woman are kissing on a bridge: that's George Lucas and Carrie Fisher, wild huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment