07 January 2011

Jan 05 - "I don't need to be a real man. I'm an actor!"

I Could Never Be Your Woman (2007)
dir. Amy Heckerling (European Vacation, 1985)
starring
Michelle Pfeiffer (Stardust, 2007)
Paul Rudd (Knocked Up, 2007)
Saoirse Ronan (Atonement, 2007)
Fred Willard (Epic Movie, 2007)
Jon Lovitz (The Stepford Wives, 2004)
Tracy Ullman (The Corpse Bride (voice), 2005)

Why didn't I ever hear of this? It's at least as good as some other romantic comedies I can't seem to escape from (How to lose a guy in ten days) and actually had some nice sassy banter and engaging characters.

The problem is probably that it's named after a song, and movies with song title names are hard to explicitly remember. Bonus points though, on this one, because White Town's "I Could Never be Your Woman" is an awesome song, even though I'm pretty certain it's about a gay man in love with a straight man (listen to the lyrics and tell me I am wrong) and therefore not super-relevant to this movie, which is about a 40 year-old woman who is in love with a 29 year-old man, and since he cares for her as well, she is fully capable of "being his woman."

I guess the flaw is that Paul Rudd's character is not fully developed, but I guess that's sort of refreshing from a feminine perspective. While it's clear that he is indeed into Pfeiffer's character, it's never clear why, or at least why he isn't into the eligible younger characters (well, they're all bitches), or at LEAST some imaginary younger character that isn't as bitchy, there must be some out there.

Lots of snarky pop culture references, especially by Saoirse Ronan, who plays the daughter in a girl-punk band that sings parodies of girl-pop songs. So yeah, definitely a chick-flick, but a snarky, funny one that is way more worth rewatching than The Wedding Planner, which really, really needs to just go away (especially that dumb ass line about brown M&Ms, because it's stupid and it doesn't make sense)

No comments:

Post a Comment