07 January 2011

Dec 29 - "I'm almost sure she did it on purpose"

Black Swan (2010)
dir. Darren Aronofsky (Pi, 1988)
starring
Natalie Portman (Where the Heart Is, 2000)
Mila Kunis (American Psycho II: All American Girl, 2002) --OMIGOSH THIS EXISTS
Winona Ryder(Girl, Interrupted, 1999)
Vincent Cassel (Shrek (Voice), 2001)

I can't believe I forgot to write about this! I guess probably because my mom took me right before New Years in a desperate attempt to cheer up my glum self. She also took me to a super fancy bistro afterwards where I ordered something super-fancy called Meatloaf Strudel and yes, that was as wonderful as it sounds. The trick though is that when we arrived in the restaurant it was utterly empty, and the waiter/host (a jack-of-all-trades, evidently) asked us about the movie and then practically squealed about how he hadn't been able to talk it over with anyone yet. So we had a chat.

At it was that guy who pointed out to me that Baclk Swan was intended to be a companion piece for The Wrestler (2008), both emphasizing the athlete's struggle with the limitations of his or her body. The gradual degradation of the dancer's body was the key theme in this movie. Then the waiter went off about other Aronofsky films, but I only saw i (1988) and parts of The Fountain (2006), which I did not care for.

Our big debate though, and I hate to spoil this for those who haven't seen the movie, but whatever...spoiler alert! Did Nina imagine sleeping with Lily or not? I leaned toward the conservative interpretation and said no, Nina was just batshit crazy and imagine Lily to be a subversive, but my waiter-pal thought otherwise, that Lily drove Nina to crazy heights by toying with her sense of reality. Ah! I'm still not sure, I think I have to see it again and watch for subtler clues, including the use or mirrors as symbols, which I'm thinking was more important than I first thought.

IMDB tells me that Aronofsky is directing another X men movie, called The Wolverine, which is about Wolvie's pre-x-men days in old-time Japan. In which, if I'm remembering my cartoons correctly, is when he falls in love with the girl who later become Lady Deathstrike, who I think was that Asian chick with the claws who died in X2: X-Men United. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but let's all hope that it's better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Anyway, at this point there are so many holes in the canon that I guess it doesn't even matter anymore.

Sorry, I'm talking about comic books when I was supposed to be talking about the movie that will probably sweep the academy awards. blah blah blah, it was wonderful! whatever everyone else said blah.

2 comments:

  1. Cheer up, Paris! Glad you reviewed this cause now I'm more interested in seeing the movie :)

    Also they are filming a movie called X-Men Origins which stars James MacAvoy as a young Professor X. Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's interesting, but X-Men Origins: Wolverine came out last summer, it was about Wolverine's stint in the Weapon X program, and his GF Silverfox, and Ryan Reynolds was in it with his mouth sewn shut?

    remember??

    ReplyDelete