13 August 2011

6 Aug - "You're altogether a human being, Jane"

Jane Eyre (2011)
dir. Cary Fukunaga

CAST
Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland, 2010)
Michael Fassbender (300, 2006)
Judi Dench (Chocolat, 2000)
Jamie Bell (King Kong, 2005)
Tamzin Merchant (Pride and Prejudice, 2005)
Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky, 2008)
Jayne Wisener (Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, 2007)
Simon McBurney (The Last King of Scotland, 2006)
Imogen Poots (28 Weeks Later, 2007)


This was a good pick to watch last night with my Mom (Kiefer was hanging out too, but I think he spent most of the time playing some Clone Wars game on his PSP). I never read Jane Eyre, generally because eschew novels of that period where most drama consisted of Lord So-and-so being impeded by good etiquette in his courtship of Lady Such-and-such who is rightly engaged to Lord Whatshisname and awaiting the transfer of her rich dowry and I can't really bear it. Maybe I should try harder because I liked the gothic heinousness of Lord Rochester keeping his mad wife locked in a secret room. I liked the scene in the beginning where the evil aunt locks Jane in a haunted room that has no apparent bearing on the rest of the story other than maybe to make you think that there's a ghost in the Rochester estate rather than a crazy lady.

I've just moved into a new apartment with my 17 year old cat, Patton, and he's not coping well with the change of venue. I barricaded him into a little area in the back and walks around in there - it reminds me of crazy old Mrs. Rochester locked up in the attic. So I guess that makes me Mr. Rochester, which begs the question, who would like to be my Jane?


No comments:

Post a Comment