24 June 2011

June 24 - "But the universe is designed to break your heart, right?"

Must Love Dogs (2005)
dir. Gary David Goldberg

CAST
Diane Lane - The Outsiders (1983)
John Cusack - Serendipity (2001)
Elizabeth Perkins - Finding Nemo,voice (2003)
Christopher Plummer - The New World (2005)
Stockard Channing - Where the Heart is (2000)
Dermot Mulroney - Burn After Reading (2008)
Julie Gonzalo - Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)
Glenn Howerton - Serenity (2005)
Patrick Fabian
Victor Webster - Bringing Down the House (2003)

I picked this movie tonight because it was one of seven that aren't on my external hard drive, which I have to stand up and plug into the laptop if I want to use. I also picked this because the others are action movies like Kiss of the Dragon or thinky movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey (Check back for reviews on those movies next month, kids!), which normally I like but earlier today I got a little bit teary-eyed at work when one document seemed too similar to another document and I asked one of the other guys if one was supposed to be a more recent draft of the other and he didn't understand because they have different titles but I was like, look! The introductions are NEARLY VERBATIM and then I felt overwhelmed. So I've decided that I'm hormonal and decided to indulge my monthly surge of femininity by painting my toenails pink (even though I've been wearing hiking books every day for the past month) and watching John Cusack fall in love with Diane Lane.

It makes me feel a wistful because I don't have anyone to pine over at the moment.

Well, no one who deserves it, and anyway, I wouldn't call it pining.

So I've decided to start adding screenshots to my posts, because I learned how to do screenshots. Also, if anyone wants to give me a prezzie, how about some picture editing software, because I have to copy/paste into microsoft paint and then "save as" a .jpeg. It's a little tedious. This is how I add flair to my blog: sad looking John Cusack with puppy:


I heard that pictures of dogs will get you more hits on search engines. Check out that West Highland Terrier! ANYWAY. As far as romantic comedies go, this one didn't really bring anything new to the table, but I wasn't really annoyed by it either, so that's something. John Cusack played that same quirky, philosophical, snarky character who is bummed out because some chick isn't into him, as he always does, but that was okay. In a nutshell, Lane is a divorced woman looking for a new beau, and so she has this back-and-forth between the dad of one of her students and a guy she meets online, and the guy who's on the movie poster is the one she ends up with. There are some misunderstandings in the middle, but for some reason no one thinks to just explain what's really going on (they never do...) and so we have "conflict."

I was curious where Cusack's character was supposed to be getting his money from. He was supposed to be making sculls out of wood, but he hadn't sold any yet and he didn't have another job. Nobody explained that.

It was a pleasant movie. It's banal. I like Someone like You better. I like Clueless even better than that. I guess sometimes you've just feel like watching a movie which doesn't require any thinking. This was good for that. But sometimes I want to pull my brains through my ear with chopsticks because so little thought was put into the creation of this so-called "entertainment" and for that reason I would do well to remember to stop watching movies like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment