22 May 2011

22 May- "Twelve is the new twenty"

Zombieland (2009)
dir. Ruben Fleischer

CAST
Jesse Eisenberg (The Squid and the Whale, 2005)
Woody Harrelson (Wag the Dog, 1997)
Emma Stone (Easy A, 2010)
Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine, 2006)
Amber Heard (Pineapple Express, 2008)
Bill Murray (Groundhog Day, 1993)

I watched Zombieland with my little brother last night. We had a tough time picking a movie to watch since we just moved and don't have any DVDs or VHSs lying around (I don't even know if my mom kept the old VHS player). And I put my netflix account on hold for the summer, and I don't have a membership to Blockbuster or anything and the On Demand isn't working in the living room for some reason so I had to go back to the cache on my external hard drive and I will tell you, there's not a lot of eight-year-old friendly stuff on there. I almost got him to watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which would have been a fun entry on here, but it turned out my digital version was of extraordinarily poor quality and subtitled, at that, so we got like a minute and a half into that before it was nixed. I guess I should buy the DVD, because that's some quality cinema.

So we watched Zombieland, which is also fun times. I think I would like to see Jesse Eisenberg play a more dickish character than his general nerd-type. Not like in The Social Network, because that character was insufferable, but I mean like Troy from The Goonies. Don't you guys think that Jesse Eisenberg could play the preppie asshole boyfriend of the girl that the Hero pines after? I think he could. Step out of your box dude, you don't have to let everyone confuse you with Michael Cera.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this was the movie that made Emma Stone famous, or at least when we all started to recognize her. One thing I don't get is why, if she and Abigail Breslin are sisters, are named Wichita and Little Rock, respectively, if the characters are named after the cities they are supposed to be pursuing. If that was the case, they should both be named Pacific Playland, or something. I guess the writer was implying that their family moved around a lot.

I have a lot of thoughts about the zombie theme as a metaphor for a certain kind of social anxiety. But I think it would be better saved for the day I review Night of the Living Dead or, at the very least, 28 Days Later. Or maybe I'm just lazy and want to go watch some more TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment